Sunday, April 6, 2008

blankets over jay chou

i will always, always be a jordi labanda girl. but still, i can't help but have my artist of the month raves. this month, i am addicted to craig thompson. because not only does he look, in some angles, like adam levine, but he does some amazing drawings. plus plus some good stories too. i just finished one of the 9 chapters of his graphic novel, Blanket. i do read mangas, but this is different. it's more profound, in a way that i will never be able to describe when asked to. he's really wonderful. the art is wonderful and to prove this, this is my favorite part from Blankets:



i am addicted to art. not necessarily painting, actually when i'm asked if i want to learn how to paint, the answer is simple and consistent, i don't. i really just want to learn how to draw, and to draw like thompson and peyton. yes, peyton. the one who most probably can do the same kind of art if not better, is kuya ouel. he's laguna's top five best artist and La Consolacion's hall of famer for winning every art contests he joins. but he's now, uhm, let me see, an unpracticing illustrator. ofcourse it's okay, after all God remembers, and if he goes to heaven God will definitely remember that he did not draw on earth from ages 24 onwards because he became a father and God's mission worker. seriously.



my brother Paolo, on the other hand, can sit all day infront of his photoshop and come up with the best print advertisements in the country (oh yes, i love bragging about family) but make him draw and his credibilities will soon crumble. don't get me wrong, he is a good painter, he after all graduated fine arts, best in thesis, in UST. but he just draws the most distorted faces, unintentionally.

seriously, my family draws the worst faces. except kuya ouel. papa's an amazing artist. but he doesn't draw recognizable faces either. he calls this, his view from his window (in malaysia):



and kuya rammil, oh yes, he draws! on his table, on scraps of paper, on wherever. he once drew Jesus on the back of my sketchbook, as a carpenter, with enormous biceps. whaaaat is thaaat? hahaha! check this out:



my mom, does albums. again, seriously. my mom is addicted to photographs, when we went to canada, during the pre-digicam era, we came home to the philippines with 15 rolls of films. my mom is not as vain as i am, but she does have picture of her feigning drying her hair in every hotel room we've been to. and we've been to A LOT of hotel rooms.

but anyway, as they are all amazing in their own genres, in whatever medium, i trace. I TRACE. i traaace. i love tracing. but i would also love to draw on my own. i draw, mediocre stuff. such as this one:



okaaaaay. i copied it. i did it on my own. but i copied it. grr..

i was supposed to write about Jay Chou's Secret. but never mind. maybe later.
i'm going to leave for a while. ima buy myself a sketchpad, my second this year, and fill it with mediocre stuff. atleast it's my own style, distinctly mediocre.
WHATEVER.

No comments: